Ivan Mihaljevic & Side Effects - Counterclockwise


Having been accustomed to American Rock music, I’d say this eclectic rock is very unique. Ivan Mihaljevic & Side Effects' latest album Counterclockwise attempts to go against the natural trend of raging rock with their more natural tones and thoughtful lyrics.

My first impressions were that it sounded similar to a band I can relate to, SOAD, but with a mainstream touch in it’s overall heavy tune, like a darker Sonata Arctica.  

Ivan's impressive vocals rage over powerful riffs and driving rhythms.  I'm also reminded of the similar rough quality and soulful tones of The Calling's Alex Band.  In fact the general sound, feel and sentiment is not dissimilar to that of The Calling.

I say this because of the rhythm throughout the songs. I do not know the technical musical terms but it doesn’t sound like the typical chords used in rock music played in radios. I feel that the overall composition of the songs have their own distinct patterns. Longer instrumental sections intersect the tracks, showcasing the excellent guitar mastery of its members. 

They feature some impressive old-school solos which demonstrate genuine skill and talent.

My favorite songs are “Gift of Life” and “I Am”, the vocals comes through clear and strong, and the music itself has it’s own unique tune.

Another outstanding one would be “Eclipse”; the beginning is very subtle and brings the listener right into instrumental heaven.

What was most enjoyable were the solo parts. I feel guitar solos are gradually missing from a lot of known mainstream “rock” bands. Overall, there is a lot of variety of styles that stands out from the album. I believe the strongest characteristics of the band reflected from this album are the solos throughout and the sudden change in rhythm that seems to be apparent in every song as demonstrated in the first song.

They are superb!

I would like to say that I do not play an instrument but I am a music junkie, although I have not really been in touch with Rock scene, but I hope you liked my review. I certainly enjoyed listening to your music!





Comments

Popular Posts